Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home improvement?

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 20:48:51 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 21 Sep 2020 15:46:19 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 13:00:06 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

For the lesser skilled
https://imgur.com/gallery/xAZpNRZ

One of my wife's favorites was "pros" screwing up and nobody saying
anything.
The framers screwed up the truss package and there was a 2x4 sticking
out into the room. The rockers drywalled around it, the trim carpenter
put crown around it and the painters painted it. She caught it doing
the QA where another FM looks at a colleague's house.
She says guys never look up.

It wasn't so much a mistake but that the trim guy showed up before the
tile floor in the front hall was done. In a house a co-worker was
building. So the guy put the baseboards just above the tile where there
was tile, and just above the subfloor where there was no tile. I guess
you could have a robot do his job.

Scheduling your trades is perhaps the most important part of building
a house. Some you can stack, others need the house to themselves but
there is always a sequence that must be followed. It was my wife's
specialty. She had the kitchen and bath trick down and was knocking
them out almost twice as fast as the guys. When you are building
production houses, even expensive ones, time is money. Her typical
bonus per house was $4,000 - $6,000 there towards the end.
(Based on completion time, under budget and customer satisfaction)