Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Frsot-free freezer ices up suddenly

I've frozen milk for at least 30yrs. What's the problem?

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 09:56:12 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Who freezes orange juice or milk? Actually, I removed one of the door
shelves to gain a bit more depth in the freezer.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 19/09/2020 17:03, Peter Johnson wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 11:16:47 +0100, "NY" wrote:

We have a supposedly frost-free freezer which mostly works as designed:
the
cooling fins on the heat-exchanger remain clear of ice. But several
times
over the last year, we have found the reported temperature increasing
and a
lot of ice around the heat-exchanger, so we have to take everything out
(thank goodness for a spare freezer) and defrost/re-freeze.

There is no sign of obvious blockage in the pipe that drains the
heat-exchanger to a tray above the motor/compressor.

It doesn't seem to happen at any particular time of year, and as far as
we
are aware, we don't store more/less food in there or open the door more
at
some times of year than another.

I'm intrigued what could cause a freezer to keep itself frost-free for
several months (with no visible gradual build-op of ice) and then
suddenly
ice up.

Exactly the same with mine at the moment. I asked a question about it
a while ago.No obvious cause. Took everything out, defrosted/refrosted
and it was all OK until I noticed that it had frosted up again a few
days ago, but it would have been doing that for a while before I
noticed. In my case, the only thing I can think of it that the room it
is in gets the sun on it in the afternoon so the ambient temperature
is much higher than it is used to during the summer.

It is almost certainly a failure of the seal somewhere. It doesn't take
much of a gap to end up with a lot of water vapour frozen inside the
freezer and very *MUCH* more than the self defrost logic can cope with.

Our fridge suffers the same mode of failure when there is too much weight
in the door. It doesn't quite seal on the magnetic clamp.

The oversize tropicana orange juice containers seem to be a problem.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown