Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Help with electrics for mini lathe.

On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 21:03:25 +0100, ss wrote:

Mini lathe 50 odd years old, the motor not original.
I would like to reduce the size of the electric box.
It contains an on off switch, an indicator lamp, and a reverse switch.
Inside is a large capacitor which takes up the space if I can replace
the capacitor with a smaller dimension then I can reduce the elec box size.
Is a more modern one smaller and if so what sort of ratings am I looking
for on eBay?

It is an Emco Unimat SL1 . Originally it would have been fitted with a
universal (AC/DC) motor identical to the ones fitted to Singer sewing
machines so no capacitors needed and easy reversing.

There are quite a few videos and other posts around on fitting
assorted motors to these lathes. The original universal motors were
somewhat underpowered and ran hot so failure was common and all sorts
of replacements were used. The induction motor fitted to yours would
have required modification to the original very simple wiring to
allow it to reverse.