Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Help with electrics for mini lathe.

In message , jeff Layman
writes
On 20/09/2020 01:57, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/09/2020 21:03, ss wrote:

Mini lathe 50 odd years old, the motor not original.
I would like to reduce the size of the electric box.
It contains an on off switch, an indicator lamp, and a reverse switch.
Inside is a large capacitor which takes up the space if I can replace
the capacitor with a smaller dimension then I can reduce the elec box size.
Is a more modern one smaller and if so what sort of ratings am I looking
for on eBay?

Image:
https://imgur.com/igFcKqj

It looks like a 4 uF motor run cap.
Something like:

https://cpc.farnell.com/ducati/4-16-...f-450vac-lead/
dp/CA05802?st=4uf%20motor%20run%20capacitor
claims to be 55mm tall, and 28mm diameter - so probably a bit
smaller
than the one you have.

Why is a 440v AC capacitor being used with a 230/250V motor?The OP did
say the motor had been replaced, so maybe it was a 440V (3 phase?)
motor previously, although that seems a bit strange for a mini-lathe.
Anyway, that capacitor is well past its sell-by date if the "1966" on
it is accurate. I haven't checked, but a 240V capacitor should be even
smaller.

er. Does the 440V represent the peak voltage encountered? 3 phase would
not require a capacitor.

--
Tim Lamb