Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Motorway NOx

In message ,
writes
On Thursday, 17 September 2020 09:48:11 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

The people who drive with a foot hard down on one or other of brake
or accelerator are
the ones who get worst possible mpg and most pollution.

They are usually to be found in the outside lane 2m behind the
bumper of another
vehicle.

With all due respect wouldn't driving 2m behind the bumper of the car in
front considerably reduce air resistance and thus raise MPG, certainly
in comparison to the car in front ? Being "sucked along" is, I believe, the
relevant phrase.

Maybe it isn't all just testosterone in action after all; but penny pinching
by drivers who are nevertheless in a bit of a hurry.

michael adams

Cyclists sometimes discover just how effective that trick is. They tend
to then discover that nothing about pedal bikes is really upto the sort
of speeds trucks do.

Umm.. With a 12 tooth fixed wheel sprocket, I could follow the school
bus in the displaced air return. I don't suppose the diesel smoke did my
lungs much good but this was 1958 or thereabouts.

--
Tim Lamb