Chuck Yerkes

Default 10 year old TV repair

barry martin wrote:

Steve:

SB I have heard the 7 year design quoted on many occasions. Don't know
SB if it is actually true or I just believe it because I have heard it so
SB many times.... Ofcourse actual life of the unit varys greatly
SB depending on how much you use it and even the conditions in your
SB house. I just wish they would make computer monitors as good as
SB televisions.... Seesm those dang things go out every year!

Something's wrong if you are replacing your monitor every year. I've
been staring at this one for at least five years. The old terminals
at the store are at least 15 years old.

Yeah, I just sent a 1992 21" Sun monitor of the GirlF's work because
it pulls a bunch of power and it's a fixed sync - so it's kind of a
pain to make an x86 or Mac work with it.

Not sure where to start looking for your problem -- perhaps a ground
loop?

And I keep all my electronic equipment on a UPS (the computers and such)
or on a tripplite Isolator bar. NYC power is scary to watch on an
oscilliscope. Picked up the Tripplite from a guy who was moving for $10.

All that said, a flat panel (for none graphics designers) saves a ton
on power, and cooling in any sort of pro use (8-10hrs/day) and pays for
itself in a couple years. Having that deskspace back is nice.