Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Bryan[_2_] John Bryan[_2_] is offline

Default 30V, 5-10A bench PSU recommendations?

In message
T i m wrote:

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 00:17:23 +0100, John Bryan
wrote:

snip

Erm, so with current that would equate to whole amps and with voltage,
10's of volts or just volt units (given it goes to 30V)?

When switched on the displays show the last settings of voltage and
current, after 5 seconds the displays indicate the measureded load
requirements.

The least significant
field is only four quick pushes away.

So that would be from 10's of volts?

Yes

Ok.

snip

So can I check on this please John. From power on, both voltage and
current flash the MSB and assuming you do nothing, will stop flashing
in ~5 seconds and will return to the last used values I understand
(say 12.000V, (or would it be only 12.00V?) and 3.000A current limit)

No.

Oh?

The displays show the last settings used

Isn't that what I said or were you not saying no to that bit?

When powered up both displays show the users last settings but do not
flash. After a few seconds they display the supplied values.
CV led lit assuming not in current limit mode.

and then revert to the
measured values.

Which in case of the voltage and assuming it's not already current
limiting will be the same as the initial value and the current will be
the actually current being drawn (not the limit)? But the point was it
*will* be the last uses values, not some arbitrary values.

This is correct it will be the last user set values.
I do not know how long it retains these values as I have never left it
powered off more than few days.

To change them you press the relevant control and set
your requirement.

Yes, I get that bit. ;-)

... (Recap) If you then turn either knob then you will change values
in 10's of volts (or just volts?) and whole amps?

Yes but only after you have pressed the control knob.

Eh? So the knobs don't work 'normally', only when in setting mode?

Turn on.
Display shows last used settings with the MSB flashing.
Allow 10 seconds.
Display show last voltage used and current amps drawn.
Turn either knob and you do or don't change the values 'live' John?

If you want to then say set it to 5.004V (for some reason g) you
first (just) turn the voltage knob (because it defaults to units?)
anticlock till it reads 5 in the units field then press the knob three
times and then ... (while it's still flashing or otherwise) turn it to
4?

You cannot set it to 05.004V

To set it to 5.04V - it only has a 4 digit display so can only get to 10mV

I wasn't sure if you regained that extra digit when only showing
single volts rather than 10's of volts. Ok, that makes it clearer.

Power on
Press the voltage control knob
The 10V digit will flash - Turn down to zero
Press the voltage control knob again. the unity volts flash
Rotate control up/down to set 5V
Press control knob twice to get to 10mV and rotate to set to 05.04V

Hope this a little clearer

Yes, that's sorta how I thought it worked, but I am now confused re
where you were saying that if you turn the voltage knob up or down
either side of 10V you will see 10, 9, 8, 9, 10, 11,12 etc?

Current setting is likewise.

Let's try a recap (I will get this pinned down). ;-)

1) Switch on

2a) At switch on and for ~5 seconds ... display shows last used
voltage and current limit values with the most significant field(s)
flashing. So if it was set to 12.00V and 3.000A CL, the 1 (of the 12)
and 3 are flashing.
(I think I understand it to be this)

or

2b) At switch on and for ~5 seconds ... display shows last used
voltage and current limit values with the most significant field(s)
flashing. So if it was set to 12.00V and 3.000A CL, the 12 and 3 are
flashing.
(not this?).

3) Leave for ~5 s and the PSU will provide the volts and current limit
values displayed.

4) Press the voltage button once and because it defaults to the first
(most significant) digit, that will flash, allowing you to set that
field ONLY. eg, if you keep rotating it clockwise from 1 it will go to
2 then 3 (then stop doing anything as the max voltage is 30 (and I
think you said it will beep)). Whilst it's still flashing, turning it
anticlock will see the display going from 3, 2, 1 to 0 and another
'end of range' beep. Leave the knob for ~5s and that digit will stop
flashing and that value will become the used value.

5) If you press the voltage knob again (once it's returned to steady)
you will 'still' be at the most significant field (so say the 1 of
12V) so you will be in the same position as in 4).

6) If whilst the display is flashing, you press the knob a second
time, the next (less significant) field will start to flash, so if it
was reading 12V, it will now be the 2. Then rotating the knob
clockwise will see the values going up to 9 (then beep ... or only
beep once you try to go *past* 9?) and anticlockwise the value going
back down to 0 (and then beep there or if you try to go past 0).

7) With the active voltage adjust units field left as the active one
(so 2 of 12V), and ~5s have passed, rotating the voltage knob will
increase or decrease the voltage in whole units up to 30 and down to
zero. (?)

8) With the display flashing, repeatedly pressing the knob will see
the flashing field move backwards and forwards between the two ends
(like ''Kit' the car on Night Rider). ;-)

Assuming I'm close now, I'm also interested to know at what point the
voltage (/ current) actually changes? eg, is it as you select it or
only when it's set?

Also to confirm the knobs *can* be used live as I believe you have
said previously across the full range and in whatever increments you
have last set (1V, 0.1V, 0.00A etc).

Thanks for your time John.

Cheers, T i m

No problem you got me to try something I had never given a thought about
i.e. the digit cycling. Hope this has been of help.

--
John Bryan