Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Bryan[_2_] John Bryan[_2_] is offline

Default 30V, 5-10A bench PSU recommendations?

In message
T i m wrote:

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 19:21:06 +0100, John Bryan
wrote:

snip

Is there any prior indication on what field you will be on when you
press the encoder again John or is it 'suck it and see' (press it and
see what flashes)?

No.
I have just tested that and from power on the most significant field
flashes in either voltage or current setting mode.

Erm, so with current that would equate to whole amps and with voltage,
10's of volts or just volt units (given it goes to 30V)?

When switched on the displays show the last settings of voltage and
current, after 5 seconds the displays indicate the measureded load
requirements.

The least significant
field is only four quick pushes away.

So that would be from 10's of volts?

Yes

If you miss it, just keep pressing as the display cycles through most to
least field and then back again least to most field, which seems a bit
wierd to me!

And me ...?

I have never given this a thought as it seemed to be intuitive to just
repeatedly press the control to get to the one needed.

Yeah, I'm sure if it was in front of me I'd work it out easily but I'm
trying to ascertain how time consuming it might be if you were
changing stuff regularly and didn't need the accuracy / granularity.

It does seem a little complicated but within a few minutes it will become
obvious as to the setting up.

So can I check on this please John. From power on, both voltage and
current flash the MSB and assuming you do nothing, will stop flashing
in ~5 seconds and will return to the last used values I understand
(say 12.000V, (or would it be only 12.00V?) and 3.000A current limit)

No. The displays show the last settings used and then revert to the
measured values. To change them you press the relevant control and set
your requirement.

... (Recap) If you then turn either knob then you will change values
in 10's of volts (or just volts?) and whole amps?

Yes but only after you have pressed the control knob.

If you want to then say set it to 5.004V (for some reason g) you
first (just) turn the voltage knob (because it defaults to units?)
anticlock till it reads 5 in the units field then press the knob three
times and then ... (while it's still flashing or otherwise) turn it to
4?

You cannot set it to 05.004V

To set it to 5.04V - it only has a 4 digit display so can only get to 10mV
Power on
Press the voltage control knob
The 10V digit will flash - Turn down to zero
Press the voltage control knob again. the unity volts flash
Rotate control up/down to set 5V
Press control knob twice to get to 10mV and rotate to set to 05.04V

Hope this a little clearer

Current setting is likewise.

Cheers, T i m

--