Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Heat pumps?

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 16:44:57 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 17 Sep 2020 11:42:10 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 9:56:45 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
Heat pump compressors ARE AC compressors - the sycle is just reversed
for heating. Matter of a rather simple valve

It turns out to be a lot more complicated than that.

I remember when heat pumps were first rolled out in our area. Like you said, they were just AC units with a reversing valve.

And they didn't work for crap,

When was this?

and at least where I was living they created such a bad impression nobody would consider a heat pump for at least a decade.

And when was this?

To design one that functions in either AC or heat is easy. But one that does both is a totally different animal.

About 1975 or '76 - before Hatherton and his associates got in on the
qction (in 1978?)