Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Motorway NOx

"charles" wrote in message
In article , michael adams
wrote:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message

The people who drive with a foot hard down on one or other of brake or
accelerator are the ones who get worst possible mpg and most pollution.

They are usually to be found in the outside lane 2m behind the bumper
of another vehicle.

With all due respect wouldn't driving 2m behind the bumper of the car in
front considerably reduce air resistance and thus raise MPG, certainly in
comparison to the car in front ? Being "sucked along" is, I believe, the
relevant phrase.

Behind a large lorry, possibly - behind anotehr car, unlikely

While not an expert, who'd have guessed, surely the air displaced by the
first car wouldn't all have returned before the second car arrived.
Maybe at 20 mph but surely not at 70 mph.

I'm not advocating any of this, but if according to the OP they're
already doing it anyway....

michael adams

from KT24 in Surrey, England