Colbyt

Default ? diverter valve for rainwater collection system

"Zeb Kagloonpop" wrote in message
om...
I've got an unusual plumbing question:

I've got a house that is setup of to have an optional a rainwater
collection system. The runoff from a metal roof is collected from the
gutters and run thru 3" cast iron drain pipe to the basement. From
there I need a valve to divert the water to either 1) a cistern (or
preprocessing) in the basement or 2) a 3" cast iron pipe running to an
outdoor drain. All gravity fed. What would be the best type of manual
valve to use? I looked in the Grainger catalog but couldn't seem to
find anything.

(The cistern and/or preprocessing doesn't exist yet. I want to put in
the valve now to make it easier to install a complete system later.)

--zeb

The only manual valve I could find for a similar purpose was sold at RV
centers. It's designed use was to allow the holding tank of an RV to be
drained. At the time I bought it 10 years ago it was less than $20 for the
3" ABS version. I only use mine to divert water to the fish pond. I am not
sure ABS is approved for potable water.

Colbyt