Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default 30V, 5-10A bench PSU recommendations?

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:04:42 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Well when you say they are dead, its probably just capacitors, unless they
have been abused of course.

I think one is still working but not to full spec (it's been a while
since I've used it / them).

My main problem with modern supplies are that
they are switch mode. Firstly unless very well designed they produce massis
of interference both down the mains, and radiating, and often there is a
residue actual on the DC as well.

Ok, not sure that would affect a battery or model train. ;-)

I'd be tempted to visit somewhere who
sells to Ham radio people, like Martin Lynch or Radioworld, or there are
several others, as they are more likely to know of gotchas on individual
supplies than than your average Ebay cheap Chinese box shifter.

But may well be more expensive.? ;-(

I still have my 10A 13.8V linear 'Shack' PSU, a smaller adjustable
SMPSU 5-15V, 0-15A (current limiting) RC usage PSU and in the loft, a
*very* big and heavy 10A bench PSU that died (can't remember the
voltage range).

It's just that apart from the RC supply, none of the others are
working fully and whilst I can charge 12V batteries with the RC PSU,
it would have been handy to have 24V's worth of battery charging
(mobility scooters) and even higher voltages for a two wheeler
scooter.

Cheers, T i m