nightjar

Default New lock

"Angela" wrote in message

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in
message . ..
I need 40 on the inside and 45 on the outside, I have emailed

them to
check the sizing. Fire safety is an issue but the reason I want

change is much more simple - I locked myself out!! the door

slammed
to but the keys were still in the door so although 2 of my

neighbours
had keys (because I always feared this would happen) I couldn't

get
back in.....................had to pay £75 for a locksmith to

come
with a sturdy tool to pull the keys out. Good job I had keys he
would have charged me another £70 to take the lock out which he

said
would involve breaking the handle too............and of course a
replacement lock..........I doubt I would have seen much change

out
of £200!!

You could simply get a cylinder pair where having the keys in one

side does
not prevent you operating the cylinder on the other. Some do, some

don't.
Alternatively, fit a lock that does not slam lock.

Colin Bignell

Apparently to have a door that doesn't shut behind me requires
replacement of the whole locking mechanism, the locksmith said it
would be about £250 + vat!

That sounds like a multi-point lock.

Any idea where I can get a double cylinder?

I buy mine from a traditional locksmith, rather than one of the places that
calls itself a Security Centre and charges extra for doing so. Most DIY
sheds sell Europrofile cylinders, but I'm not sure whether they do the
asymmetric type you need. However a symmetrical 45/45 would only mean that
the cylinder protrudes and extra 5mm on the inside, which is less of a
security issue than if it stuck out further on the outside. If the cylinder
is marked to show that one end should be on either the outside or the inside
of the door, it is probably biased, the way yours is, and will not let you
operate it from one side if there is a key in the other. Mine are reversible
and allow me to work the lock from either side, irrespective of whether a
key is in the other side or not.

Colin Bignell