Posted to alt.home.repair
Norgeiron Norgeiron is offline

Default redwood vs pressure treated fence posts

Correct! I have a 30 year old redwood fence that is doing fine. The key to wood longevity is to avoid moisture, so I did NOT sink the redwood 4X4's into the ground. I dug post holes, filled them with concrete, and sunk Simpson heavy duty galvanized post bases into the wet concrete. The post bases elevate the wooden posts above grade by a half inch or so. Every year or two I spray the bottom of the 4X4's with wood preservative and they are doing fine---=no termites and no rot. Now, after 30 + years, some of the Simpson galvanized bases are rusted out, but I have a fix for that, too. Home Depot has inexpensive and rugged stainless steel shelf brackets that look like triangles with pre-drilled holes. Attach one of these to either side of the 4X4 post and, using tap con screws, secure it to the concrete surrounding the rusted post base. It will last longer than you will.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ts-283811-.htm