American Mechanical

Default BTU versus tons

wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

BTU per hour compared to ton per day. It all works out in
the end.

Indeed it does, in typical HVAC fuzzy thinking, but
Btus are energy, and tons are power, and failing to
recognize the difference (eg to write and think Btu
PER HOUR) is a source of great confusion to people
who know anything at all about physics :-)

Nick

???

Tons are power? Power being measured in watts, I don't believe this holds
water. :-)

A ton of refrigerating effect is equal to the amount of heat that is added
to one ton of 32 deg F ice in order to convert it to 32 deg F water in a 24
hour time period. The latent heat of fusion for water(ice) is 144 BTU per
pound and there are 2000 pounds in a ton therefore you must add 288,000 BTU
within a 24 hour period to melt the ice. 288,000 BTU divided by 24 hours is
12,000 BTU that must be added per hour in order to melt the ton of ice.

So, 12,000 BTUH is considered one ton of refrigerating effect.

See, nothing fuzzy about that is there? Unless of course I'm wrong which
has been known to happen. :-)

- Robert