Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Vines growning from within bushes?

On Monday, September 14, 2020 at 7:39:21 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.lawn.garden, on Mon, 14 Sep 2020 04:14:28 +1000, "Joshua
Snow" wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
I have vines growing up in the middle of my bushes. What to do?

They look bad.

At least once a year, I rip or cut out parts I can see, but that still
leaves the stems and they grown back.

Some have grown 20 feet up the trees that are in the middle of the
bushes.

How can I now use, or have used herbicide, without killing the evergreen
bushes that surround them?

I cut the vines back as you have done and apply neat
Roundup to the cut top of what remains in the ground.

Thanks.

Interesting. I never heard of neat Roundup, and no one sells it, but
there are pages that refer to it.

He means the concentrated RU or glyphosate which is readily available.
IDK what the top concentration is, but I have one that is just under 50%,
that's the highest I've seen. You probably don't need anything that high.
Typical for dealing with common weeds is 3%. Maybe 10% for tough to kill.
The key is how much actually gets applied. If you can get to part of the
vine with leaves, either near the ground when it's starting to regrow or
coming out of the top of the bush, you'll deliver a lot more RU than if
you paint just the cut off end.

Roundup itself says iit is Roundup PowerMAX Concentrate or Roundup Tough
Concentrate

But these are hard to get in one-family size. What do you recommend?

One seems only for sale in 2.5 gallons for $80. . The closest thing I
found is Roundup Tough Ultra Cconcentrate 500ml. I guess ultra means
even more concentrated, and it says 500ml makes enough for "1500m2,
equivalent to 6 tennis courts." I think I need about one square meter.

That stuff lasts pretty much indefinitely, so it might be worth it.
Should be able to find 2.5 gal for ~$50. But if you can't use it, then
get a quart of brush killer product instead. It's other chemicals and much
stronger for use on tough stuff like vines.