Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Blow torch gas refills

"Radio Man" wrote in message
Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi,

I have a Primus blowtorch which has the same bottle as shown in this item

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Primus-20...AOSwKtJfWKF 2

I noticed that a number of people are selling empty bottles on eBay so
was curious as to why. It seems that they are refillable - although....
some seem to have the word "refillable" on them and some don't even
though they look identical. As it happens, mine does not say refillable.
Further investigation I found a variety of videos with people filling
them themselves (one I saw were from the US) from larger bottles.

I had never heard of this before and assumed when mine was empty I would
bin it and buy another one. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is
the idea that you fill from a larger one when needed or maybe you have to
take it to a supplier who does that for you?

Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Lee.

There is no shortage of videos of people refilling various cylinders on
YouTube. The problem is usually finding a suitable adaptor. If it has the
common threaded lindel fitting, about 8 mm in diameter as found on some
those used on some camping stoves, adaptors are available.

Then you need a gas source.

I get a mate of mine who has an LPG system in his motorhome to
refill mine at the service station when he fills his motorhome there.

A lot of people seem to use the cheap 220g disposable cylinders for picnic
stoves available for as little as £1 each if that if you shop around. You
can get a fitting which converts them to the above style and the adaptors
used to transfer the gas fit between the two.

Needless to say, not the safest thing to do.