Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Saw Safety

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 05:01:45 -0400, Paul wrote:

and nerves and all sorts to would need joining up.

But still quite feasible.

It helps if the cut is a "fine" one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replantation

"Sharp, guillotine-type injuries with relatively uninjured surrounding
tissue have the best post-replantation prognosis, with a success rate of
77%"

Makes you wonder what the other 23% looked like.

Probably look fine, just that some/all of the nerves and tendons
haven't been reconnected so feeling will be a bit odd and some
function will be lost. IIRC the muscles that control your fingers are
half way up your arm so reconnect the tendons and that functionality
returns.

OK, is this one a "keeper" or not ?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ns/thumb/9/93/
Near-amputated_finger_tip_with_stitches_2.jpg/
420px-Near-amputated_finger_tip_with_stitches_2.jpg

Oooo that looks like the tip of my left index finger. Except I tried
to cut it off from the other side. Cut starts towards the base of the
nail just by the the nails right side, right across the finger tip,
to below the base of the nail and half way through the finger the
otherside. I suspect 'cause the stanley blade encountered the bone as
it went through.
Bone is white you know...

11 small stiches, done by our GP in the local "Minor Injuries" unit.
Back home all stiched up in less than two hours from inflicting the
injury on myself. This was 20 years ago, initially couldn't feel the
pain from poked quite hard by needle but could feel the touch and
hot/cold of surafces touched Over the years things have slowly
returned it's still feels "numb" but now can now feel pain.

--
Cheers
Dave.