Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is Erbauer ERH750 SDS drill powerful enough for 150mm core bit?

On Thursday, 10 September 2020 08:31:38 UTC+1, me wrote:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-e...220-240v/232fv

I'm about to buy this SDS hammer drill but I'm not sure if it's powerful enough to easily drive a 150mm core bit. Anyone know if it is?

And in general is there a table or something that tells you what power of drill you need to drive various sizes of core bits?

Thanks.

I cut a 2 or 2.5" hole in masonry with an ancient B&D once, it did it no problem. Your SDS is several times the power & several times less rpm, so I'd expect it to be capable. That doesn't imply it'll be quick. And there are wall materials out there that even an SDS drill can't penetrate.

Once you get the centre bit through & core drill a bit into both sides, it becomes possible to bust lumps out without breaking the face. You should break the centre plug out to at least reduce the risk of a jam, which is high and can injure you & the core drill. With a little care extra breaking out can speed things up some.

NT