Andrew

Default Digital set-top boxes (slightly O/T) - weak signal area.

wrote in message ...
In uk.d-i-y, Andy Hall wrote:

Do these get firmware updates downloaded by the broadcaster like the
satellite boxes do? You might find that there is a firmware
update.....

Yes, the packaging promises over-the-air firmware updates; but these are
initiated by the decoder mfr begging NTL or whoever runs the terrestrial
digital transmitters (similarly for satellite). There's no user-accessible
port down which I can myself flash the firmware. And the manual claims I'll
know about it when a firmware update is sent - the decider will pop up a
dialogue box which requires Assent from me-the-owner to apply the upgrade.
There's a screen which tells me the version numbers of the various
bits of software currently running. The EchostarUK website assures me at
http://www.echostaruk.co.uk/OAD.html that "information about specific
downloads will appear on this page", suggesting none have been released yet.

I had a number of updates for my grundig freeview box before it died. Hmmm....