R W

Default Digital set-top boxes (slightly O/T) - weak signal area.

Lobster wrote:
Jonathan Peters wrote in message
. ..
My original idea was to buy one of the boxes from Argos and see if it
worked; I could then take it back for a refund if it didn't.
Unfortunately, these items are excluded from Argos' 15-day money-back
guarantee, which leaves me kinda stuck.

Just had a quick shufti on Argos' website and it says:

"Please note that this product is excluded from the Argos 16-Day Money
Back Guarantee. This does not affect your statutory rights"

I'm no expert on consumer law but somebody here will be, and will be
able to tell you what your 'statutory rights' are. Is this one of
those cases where would be legally obliged to take back an item as
'not fit for purpose' if returned in as new condition? Maybe it's
just a meaningless disclaimer which attempts to dissuade punters from
doing what you want to do!

Also - note that the cheapest box, ref 532/0448, is apparently not
covered by the waiver. Maybe an accident, maybe not... but even if
that's not the box you're after, there's nothing to stop you buying
it, testing it, then returning it for an upgrade if it works for you,
or a refund if it doesn't.

Just buy it online or by telephone order, then you're covered by the
distance selling regulations that apply to any retailer. You can then
return it within 7 days for any reason you like.