Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Clare, a quest4ion about Canada

Clare, when I listen to As It Happens, it seems to have more news about
indigenous people than the US does, and the tone is different too.

Is there a higher percentage of indigenous people in Canada than in the
US?

Are there more in absolute numbers?

As to the tone, the first t hing to notice is the use of indigenous, and
no squabbling about Indians or Native Americans.

Plus the stories in the US are usually about some crisis.. The stories
on As it Happens are usually about a problem -- almost anything that
makes it to news radio is about a problem -- but problems that somehow
leave the indigenous people looking stronger, afaicr

Tonight the story was about how some international competition, the
World Games, did not want the Iroquois lacrosse team to compete because
they ddin't consider the Iroquois a sovereign nation, but 8 countries,
ending with Ireland**, said they would not compete if the Iroquois
didn't, and the sponsor relented. See what I mean about stories that
show them more respect.

**Actually Ireland withdrew, leaving an empty spot.

From another source:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/i...ames-1.5717395

I can't remember a story like that from the USA.