Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default IF I have the old septic system inspected, could I be REQUIRED to update or replace?

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 14:22:04 -0400, Frank wrote:

On 9/10/2020 1:13 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 9/10/2020 1:01 PM, wrote:
Hi
I have inherited a 60 year old house in Connecticut.* There is a
problem* with the septic system, and dont want to get trapped and
forced to spend a bunch of money.
The septic system was backed up and water was flowing out of a hatch
in the middle of the driveway when I ran water inside. I had a septic
service come and clean it out. It seems to be fine now but they say
that it is a very small capacity system, and they suspect there might
be a broken pipe connecting the tank to the leaching pipe. They want
to do an inspection which would require digging up some of the
driveway, which would then have to be repaved.
IF they perform this inspection and they find a broken pipe, could I
be REQUIRED by the city to fix it or perhaps even replace the whole
system? Meaning my whole driveway will have to be repaved as well.
On top of that, I am considering having work done on the house. Maybe
an addition, or maybe just changing the existing floorplan. IF I add a
bedroom I assume I will have to replace the existing septic system or
add on to it to meet capacity. Even if I don't add a bedroom, I will
still need to have the building plan approved by the city, is it
possible the city will require updating the septic system because it
is old and low capacity system by modern standards??
Thanks

That would depend on local regulations.* If you make changes and put an
addition it is very likely the system will have to be updated. Meantime,
you are potentially sinking is your own **** if the system is not
working correctly.* Do you have a well also?* You may contaminate it
with spillage.* Or your neighbors and be liable.

I'd fix the time bomb before it really blows a hole in your finances.

I'd fix it too and bite the bullet and do whatever upgrade is needed.
Backup may indicate that tank was not pumped frequently enough and
sludge overflowed into drain field.
I recall someone looking to buy a lot to build a house but the county
limited it to 3 bedrooms because of the septic perk test.
I have also seen the county change the rules whereas a couple of
neighbors with apparently too good a perk had to install treatment tanks
before gray water went to drain field. Cost them a bundle.

+ 1

I also question the mid-driveway "hatch" ... ?
In a wintery climate, the frost goes deeper under a driveway.
Also - some idiots will route the downspouts into the septic
system ... duh.
John T.