Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Dangerous saw

Chris Green wrote:

It's an absolute "no no" to use a chainsaw up a ladder. I use a
chainsaw quite frequently but never, never up a ladder. You need lots
of protective gear, lots of training and proper 'get you up the tree'
gear to work with a chainsaw off the ground.

As I know I have posted befo

A neighbour of mine, after having been ripped off by itinerants
(they had invented a story that there had been complaints, and he
had to let them do the work) who left him with unbelievably
mangled eyesores of trees, plus all the trimmings for him to
dispose of, apparently went with a garden landscape firm to clear
the lot, and give the plot a bit of a makeover.

They had a reasonably large conifer to bring down, without room
to drop it in one. I saw no goggles, ear defenders, or safety
clothing in evidence whilst using a chain saw. An extended
sectional ladder rested against the tree, but wasn't secured to
it. There was some form of primitive personal safety loop, but it
was only clipped to the ladder, the top rung of which rested
insecurely against the curve of the trunk.

As they worked down from the top, the chain saw was deployed at
about head height but, having no goggles, the operator was
showered with sawdust and had to look away from the cut.
Meanwhile the second man had to leave his position footing the
ladder to heave on the rope hoping to persuade the section to
fall the right way. Occasionally he was successful.

To my surprise they survived, but that is simply not the way to
do it. At almost every stage they progressed in such a tentative
way, that it seemed to me that they were way out of their depth.

Had I not been recuperating after a minor op at the time, I would
probably have tried to intervene.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK