Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Is Erbauer ERH750 SDS drill powerful enough for 150mm core bit?

On 10/09/2020 08:31, me wrote:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-e...220-240v/232fv

I'm about to buy this SDS hammer drill but I'm not sure if it's
powerful enough to easily drive a 150mm core bit. Anyone know if it
is?

Its borderline, but will probably be ok - I have a 720W Makita 2kg class
SDS, and have managed to drill a number of 4" diamond cores with it, and
possibly a 5" (never tried 6"). However their 850W 8406 model is rated
for 150mm cores.

And in general is there a table or something that tells you what
power of drill you need to drive various sizes of core bits?

There is more to it than just power.

The main thing with core bits, is there is a very high chance that you
will snag and stall the core bit several times in drilling a core. That
makes a safety clutch essential. The problem I found with using my SDS
is that the clutch is set to let go at a much lower torque than is ideal
for core drilling. So you have to take it very gently, and try and keep
as straight as possible. (also hope the wall is not damp!) Otherwise it
can be frustrating keeping the core actually spinning.

Core drills tend to be set at higher slip torques, and are usually
equipped with long side handles to make it easier to keep a grip on it.

Also consider endurance, if coring hard stuff, then they can take a long
time - so a drill rated for continuos operation is worthwhile - and not
all tools are.

--
Cheers,

John.