Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Running UF to sewer pump via under porch

On 9/9/20 4:47 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 9 Sep 2020 12:32:00 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

I'd slip it into a piece of conduit for extra protection.

Certainly the part where it emerges from the ground anyway. Once it is
stapled to the side of the joist it should be OK. Use weatherproof
staples, Typically that is a plastic bar with aluminum nails

I'd suggest putting the conduit at least 18" in the ground and
tamping the dirt by the conduit a little. That little bit of tamping
should discourage mice.

See "Fighting depression in mice", in the Journal or Rodent Psychology,
May 2019. Basically it says that none of the drugs succesfully used
for people work in rodents, and that mice especially are subject to
clinical depression, sometimes leading to suicide.

A suicidal mouse with any sense of decency would commit suicide
by running out in front of a car or cat. Chewing the insulation off of
some poor guy's wire? No. Wire without insulation leads to corrosion
which in turn can lead to a shorted or open circuit.
The more I think of it, the more convinced I am that some sort of
conduit or hose to protect the wire is appropriate even if it isn't
necessary to be code compliant. The wire could be well protected from
human damage but Pixie and Dixie live in my world.