Posted to uk.d-i-y
Radio Man Radio Man is offline

Default Dangerous saw

fred wrote:
On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 12:24:18 PM UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 09/09/2020 12:12, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/09/2020 09:24, Chris J Dixon wrote:
On "Ambulance Code Red" (Channel 5) this week, one of the
incidents was a guy who had apparently been trimming guttering
with what appeared to be a circular saw blade mounted on an angle
grinder.

Could it have been a segmented diamond cutting disc rather than a
circular saw blade?

There appeared to be no blade guard of any kind, and he had

Lots of people take them off!

yes bloody health and safety

Im alway amazed when watching youtube videos of USA woodworkers. No
splitter and no guard in evidence

Back in the early 80s I did some work in Pakistan with their Army. One day
I needed to use a bench grinder. I was led to a workshop full of old
machines- probably WW2 vintage. Immaculately cleaned and polished etc.
However, not a safety feature in use. The normal guide you have on a bench
grinder was folded away. I asked for a spanner an set it where it should
be. Theyd never seen it used. I had some safety Goggles which I left for
them. I drew a diagram to show where they should fit a safety screen. I
doubt it ever was fitted.

A shame, the craftsmanship was excellent. They made some parts locally I
needed which where perfect- made on machines older than me from a rough
sketch and ready the next day.