Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WiFi experience

On 08/09/2020 13:18, Theo wrote:
R D S wrote:
So, is WiFi just a bit ****?
Shall I knuckle down and run cable (would be a ballache) or persevere
resiting the router and PCs and trying different channels?
(Which I have done today and it's currently usable)

Wifi is a technology that can range from working almost better than a wire to just
awful. It very much depends on the equipment you have, the RF environment,
and how it's configured. Wifi isn't ****,

It is. Its insecure and too dependent on a host of other factors
It is, however, marginally better than nothing

Running cable is a solution, but what I'd look at is running cable to
additional access points to cover dead spots. That means you need many
fewer cables. Mesh is like using radio spectrum for the backhaul instead of
running that cable - less work, but that's spectrum your clients (or next
door) could be using.

Run cables for every static device.
You know it makes more sense

Theo