Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WiFi experience

On 08/09/2020 12:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 11:47:38 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

Your simplest quick fix is to use powerline internet to bridge between
the router and the otherwise inaccessible zone. This assumes that you
have a single ring main and annoys radio hams a bit but will work quite
well to get you a decent speed connection without new wiring.

You can add that to "unreliable" too.

Every so often, for no apparent reason (and I've swapped units, so it's
unlikely to be a one-off) my PL adapters just "unsync" and need a power
cycle to restart. (I guess you can power cycle remotely if you have the
setup).

They are good enough for most commercial purposes. I certainly would not
want them in anything that was safety or mission critical. Mine go
haywire much less frequently than the ADSL link that they are serving.

One time they somehow lost their network name pairing. I had to connect
into them using the PL software (TIP: If you're using PL adapters, make
sure you have a Windows machine you can connect them into via Ethernet)
and reset the network name for both.

As I said befo I wouldn't trust my life to them ....

I have found powerline adapters surprisingly reliable and that they will
work OK across some chunks of ring main that are not even on the same
mains distribution board. it is pot luck if it works like that though.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown