Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default Caliper spring broken

On 8/9/20 1:58 pm, Gerry wrote:
On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 10:17:58 +1000, Clifford Heath
wrote:

I've been cleaning up a lot of older steel tools using citric acid,
which does a nice job.

Sadly these calipers emerged from an overnight dunking with the spring
broken. It looks like it's probably been cracked for some time.

What are my options? Is it possible to get or make a replacement?

Buy a cheep one at harbor fright and swap out the spring like I did,
spring steel does not respond well to acid derusting.

Thanks, I learned something. Can anyone explain the metallurgy or
physics here? Very interesting! I mean it looks like they might have
been cracked for some time - is that possible? Does spring steel work
with cracks in it normally? Or has the acid just aged freshly-cracked
surfaces?

Clifford Heath