Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copying files from old DOS to Win10

On Monday, 7 September 2020 11:35:46 UTC+1, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 06/09/2020 22:34, Grumps wrote:
So I have a really old Amstrad PC1512 with 20MB HDD. There are files
that I'd like to retrieve into a more modern environment - Win10.
The old PC has a 5 1/4" floppy, a serial port, and a parallel port.
The old PC also has Laplink v3.00a.

Is there anything that'll run on a Win10 PC that is compatible with
Laplink? Laplink themselves just told me (online chat) that the older
machine has to be Win7 or later. So DOS3.30 is out of the question then!

You might manage something with Kermit instead of laplink. This provides
transport-independent file-transfer software via serial ports for a wide
variety of hardware platforms.

A copy of MS-DOS Kermit on the Amstrad should be able to talk to Kermit
95 running on Windows 10. Your challenge would be to find some way of
putting a downloaded copy of MS-DOS Kermit on to a suitable floppy
compatible with the Amstrad.

http://www.kermitproject.org/index.html
http://www.kermitproject.org/mskermit.html
http://www.kermitproject.org/k95.html

when I moved to pc years ago I found no software to read the file format, and used a text extractor to get everything in plain text. The source machine claimed to be able to convert its files to pc format for export, but when time came to do so it turned out it couldn't.

NT