Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Copying files from old DOS to Win10

On 06/09/2020 22:34, Grumps wrote:
Hi
So I have a really old Amstrad PC1512 with 20MB HDD. There are files
that I'd like to retrieve into a more modern environment - Win10.
The old PC has a 5 1/4" floppy, a serial port, and a parallel port.
The old PC also has Laplink v3.00a.

Is there anything that'll run on a Win10 PC that is compatible with
Laplink? Laplink themselves just told me (online chat) that the older
machine has to be Win7 or later. So DOS3.30 is out of the question then!
Ta.

(note I have not tried this, but it sounds plausible!)

You could use Rufus[1]

To build a USB DOS boot disk, and then run a suitable version of laplink
for the era (e.g. Laplink III/IV/Pro) on a modern machine.

[1] http://rufus.akeo.ie/

or, (and I have tried this) a bit of serial comms software on the old
machine (like Telix / QuickLink2), and something that can run ZModem on
the modern one (Like PuTTY, with the ExtraPutty add on that gives it
Zmodem compatibility). The just upload files from one, and download on
the other.

(let me know if you need the software)

--
Cheers,