Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Copying files from old DOS to Win10

On 06/09/2020 22:52, Grumps wrote:

On 06/09/2020 22:48, No Name wrote:

On 06/09/2020 22:34, Grumps wrote:

Hi
So I have a really old Amstrad PC1512 with 20MB HDD. There are files
that I'd like to retrieve into a more modern environment - Win10.
The old PC has a 5 1/4" floppy, a serial port, and a parallel port.
The old PC also has Laplink v3.00a.

Is there anything that'll run on a Win10 PC that is compatible with
Laplink? Laplink themselves just told me (online chat) that the older
machine has to be Win7 or later. So DOS3.30 is out of the question then!
Ta.

Do you know if the hard disc drive is a RLL or a MFM or IDE interface?

If its IDE, you can get IDE to USB adepters..... like this one:

It's an ST506 interface using MFM.

Many Amstrads had the HDD installed in a "hard card" arrangement - i.e.
an ISA card with disk controller and space to mount the physical drive
on the card.

If yours is like that, then an intermediate stage would be to find a
machine with ISA slots and stick the card in there, then copy directly
to some other storage medium.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SATA-PATA...8440f5e9618c83

Do you know if you can swap the 5.25 inch internal drive for a 3.5
inch internal drive?Â*Â* if you can, you can use a set of 3.5 inch
floppies to copy the data to and then use a USB based external 3.5
inch floppy disc drive like this one:

I haven't got a 3.5" with the same connectors.

3.5" drives have different connectors - however all you need is a cable
with the appropriate ones on (many at one time had a pair of 5.25"
connectors and a pair of 3.5" ones). You can even crimp a 3.5" style IDC
header onto an existing 5.25" style drive cable.

--
Cheers,

John.