Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_3_] Dan Espen[_3_] is offline

Default Attaching Patio to House

writes:

I did a search on this as we are getting ready to put in a huge patio
in the back and the contractor said he would tie it into the house to
keep it from moving. We're in MI with poor drainage - lots of clay
ground here. What is the recommendation for that type of soil other
than the obvious of proper ground prep?

Tying the patio to the house sounds like a very bad idea to me.
You must be thinking of using concrete, I wouldn't do that either.
Concrete moves around and cracks. You'll end up damaging your
foundation too.
Use pavers.

I hope he's not thinking about anchoring a large concrete slab
to his house ? 1. Why ?
A properly-done concrete slab should last many many years -
- concrete is often used for driveways !
.. much more stress and heavier traffic than a patio, yes ?
The modern patterns and colouring and pebble effects that
can be achieved with concrete can look great - just don't
choose the cheapest contractor !
My neighbour's driveway and patio are georgeous ! ... done
by his brother who is an experienced concrete tradesman.
John T.

I agree that concrete can look great and last a long time.

I think there is nothing that looks better than a paver
driveway. Even patterned and stained concrete.

I don't have any figures but I'm guessing pavers will outlast
concrete by a wide margin.

--
Dan Espen