Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default MIG welding with Nitrogen?

On 06/09/2020 12:44, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 12:31:42 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 06/09/2020 11:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 19:50:03 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

On 5/9/20 6:04 am, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

I've run out of the ideal 90:10 mix of argon and CO2 for mild steel
and was wondering if Nitrogen could be pressed into service as an
expedient, given how long it takes for gas to be delivered currently.
I have a nearly full half-size cylinder of pure nitrogen and it would
be handy to say the least if it would make a workable substitute as an
inert gas.
Any thoughts?

CD

Just use straight CO2

Ain't got nun. All I have here currently is a full sized cylinder of
UHP Hydrogen and a half-sized N2; both full.

Get a reel of cored wire?

Well I was wondering about that stuff, Newsy. I know it creates extra
splatter compared to shielded, but that wouldn't matter in this case.
But isn't it a bit too much like normal arc/stick welding? And if so,
it's going to blow holes in the typically 0.7-0.8mm mild steel used
for car sills and other structural areas like outriggers, surely?

I gave away an inherited transformer stick welder before I bought the
MIG, I couldn't do a thing with it which is doubtless down to my lack of
technique.

I did manage to fix a (non structural) hole in a Diahatsu panel once
with gasless MIG. Not terribly neatly. I've done better on more
favourable materials though.

TBH I have not had the MIG out since I bought a little Lidl inverter
welder for stick, I've been surprised how well I can re-fill the holes I
sometimes make with it. As the You-tube videos for the generic ones
confirm, the displayed amps are a bit optimistic but it's fine for one
stick size down from the claimed maximum. Definitely a nice toy to have.

But these days the cars go to a mate who owns a garage.