Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I salvage this old strimmer?

On Sunday, 6 September 2020 11:50:48 UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:

Clearing out the garage. I have an electric strimmer that was hardly ever used but has been hanging up for about 10 years. When I plug it in and switch it on the motor turns but slow and sluggishly. Is it worth opening up and spraying with WD40 or should I just put it straight in the bin?

Put a few drops of ATF on the motor bearings each end. Leave it overnight then turn it by hand. If it's fairly free, see if it runs ok. At this point if it turns freely yet barely moves under power it's had it. But in most cases this is enough to get a working machine again.

Apply all relevant safety cautions. Do not slash eyeball etc.

NT