Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Can I salvage this old strimmer?

On 06/09/2020 11:50, Rednadnerb wrote:

Clearing out the garage. I have an electric strimmer that was hardly
ever used but has been hanging up for about 10 years. When I plug it
in and switch it on the motor turns but slow and sluggishly. Is it
worth opening up and spraying with WD40 or should I just put it
straight in the bin?

ISTR I had a similar issue with one like that - the main bearing had
seized and rotation was being permitted by the bearing housing being
spun against significant resistance in its (plastic) housing. A
situation than ended up hot gloopy, and melted in quick order!

So if that is the case on yours, and you can free (or replace) the
bearing, then it might still be ok.

(although it could be the armature has lost a winding, in which case
probably beyond economic repair)

--
Cheers,

John.