Kiwanda

Default 60 Hz buzzing noise coming from floor

(Don Klipstein) wrote in
:
Do the telephones have features powered by a transformer? (Most
home
phones do not but some do and many office phones do.)

That was my first thought, since doorbell transformers are often either next to the service panel or near the chimes; the old phone
transformers can be just about anywhere, esp. if someone installed a "princess" phone that needed one when the house was built. My
1958 house had a phone transformer retrofitted, I'd imagine sometime in the 1960s, and it was still wired and hot when I bought the
place in 2001. My guess is that it's been a very long time since anyone had a princess phone here, as the only active phone
connection was the wall block in the kitchen.

-drl