Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Free rusted metal

On Saturday, 29 August 2020 22:16:20 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 29/08/2020 21:29, alan_m wrote:
On 29/08/2020 16:34, newshound wrote:

I think I would immerse it in diesel for a week. Are the grub screws
out? If so, relatively light tapping should then move the rods with
much less force than it would take to break the casting.

Two minutes before posting this I was watching a repeat of the "Repair
Shop". As others have suggested an overnight soak in Auto (Gearbox)
Transmission Fluid/Oil and an Acetone mix to remove rust and free up a
mechanism.

Yes, that is one of the classic mixes, but we don't all have ATF and
acetone to hand. Acetone helps by mopping up any free water, as well as
by thinning the mix.

ATF alone also works, just penetrates slower. ATF is something nearly every diyer should have in stock. If not, any car accessory shop has it. A single bottle will pay back its cost many times over by fixing seized things.

NT