Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Free rusted metal

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 16:51:51 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 29/08/2020 16:34, newshound wrote:

I think I would immerse it in diesel for a week. Are the grub screws
out? If so, relatively light tapping should then move the rods with much
less force than it would take to break the casting.

+1 for not using WD40.

One other trick I've seen used on TV is to heat a thicker oil before
immersing the item.

Perhaps immersing it in oil, heating up to about 150C (don't set fire to the
oil!) for a while then letting it cool might force in oil. If that doesn't
work then try immersing just the (cold) main lump in hot oil so that there's
differential expansion.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away