Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Free rusted metal

I wonder if some kind of reverse electrolysis is possible? The problem is
though, even if you get it all to move, how much damage has been done to the
surfaces and hence any kind of precision movement.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 29/08/2020 12:20, ss wrote:
Image below is the cross drive for a mini lathe. It is rusted solid.
I have soaked in WD40 for a couple of days and still stuck.
The arrows in green are points I can tap with hammer but dare not hit too
hard in case the `lug` breaks off.

Never used heat before on rusted items but would `hot air` paint stripper
gun work? I am not too bothered re the paintwork as I will be repainting
the main body before I re assemble the lathe.

Hot air *might* work - but it will not tend to give the thermal shock you
get from a blow torch or similar. (ideally you want bits to expand /
contract bits of it at different rates to force some movement in the
rusted contact surfaces)

Any other ideas?

The yanks seem to get good results with Evapo-rust leaving it soaking for
a day or more.

--
Cheers,

John.