Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "swing over bed" Definition

"Phil Kangas" wrote in message ...

A 20" dia piece needs 10" of clearance. 18" dia needs 9" of
clearance. 18.5" over the carriage will handle a 37"
diameter!
Let's get it right, guys. :) phil k.

Also don't forget to have the carriage at the starting position BEFORE

I sometimes forget to check for full carriage travel before threading a
short piece between centers, where the tailstock and live center bearing
intrude.

I haven't run the carriage into chuck jaws but the trade school students who
used the lathe before me obviously did, many times. I bought new chucks. The
micrometer carriage stop makes a good safety barrier near the chuck though I
use collets or small 3/4/6 jaw chucks on 5C mounts if possible.