Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Free rusted metal

On 29/08/2020 12:20, ss wrote:
Image below is the cross drive for a mini lathe. It is rusted solid.
I have soaked in WD40 for a couple of days and still stuck.
The arrows in green are points I can tap with hammer but dare not hit
too hard in case the `lug` breaks off.

Never used heat before on rusted items but would `hot air` paint
stripper gun work? I am not too bothered re the paintwork as I will be
repainting the main body before I re assemble the lathe.

Hot air *might* work - but it will not tend to give the thermal shock
you get from a blow torch or similar. (ideally you want bits to expand /
contract bits of it at different rates to force some movement in the
rusted contact surfaces)

Any other ideas?

The yanks seem to get good results with Evapo-rust leaving it soaking
for a day or more.

--
Cheers,

John.