Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default "swing over bed" Definition

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 15:18:23 -0400
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 8/28/2020 11:40 AM, wrote:

Some time ago we had a job to turn a 20 inch by 6 foot chunk of steel on a Monarch lathe with 18.5 inch over the carriage. The first cut was 1 inch deep to get to 18 inch diameter to go over the carriage. The chip was about 100 feet long before the operator broke it deliberately, deep and slow pass but it worked perfectly.

I'm missing something - HOW did you turn a 20" piece with 18.5" of
clearance?

Guessing... move carriage to the right of 20" piece. Make sure cutter
is ahead of the carriage and you're cutting off enough material to
clear the carriage as it advances...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI