Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

On 8/27/2020 6:48 AM, Peter wrote:
On 8/26/2020 1:50 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/25/2020 6:14 AM, Peter wrote:
On 8/24/2020 4:58 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 24 Aug 2020 14:31:19 -0400, Peter
wrote:

On 8/24/2020 12:03 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 20:46:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

We have an antenna tower with a antenna rotor.
How do I auto program the channels with the rotor in use ?
Every time you start the programming, it wipes the previous
channels.

I want to be able to set the antenna in one direction, Search ...
Set the antenna in another direction, Search ...

It's going to be the same set of answers you got when you asked this
question a few weeks ago.

Disconnect and optionally remove the rotor. Add a second (or more)
antenna
and use a combiner so that your tuner app thinks it's all a single
antenna.

Use one of the OTA antenna websites to determine where the
stations are
broadcasting from in your area.

Have you tried mounting an omnidirectional antenna on your tower,

Even without the other steps below, doesn't this sound like a lot more
time and effort than adding stations manually?

I've never owned either a digital to analog TV adapter (remember
those from the earliest days of digital broadcasting?) or a digital
TV that allowed me to manually add a channel I couldn't receive
during a complete scan/rescan.* I could remove/add channels only to
the list of channels that were detected during the most recent
complete scan. That's why when a digital station changes it's
broadcast frequency, you need to do a rescan.* You can't just punch
in the new frequency on the remote and receive the previously unused
channel.* The OP is using a directional antenna on a rotor that only
detects the subset of all potential channels that could be received,
depending on which direction he's pointing the antenna. He's trying
to get all potentially viewable stations on his scanned list,
regardless of their transmitter's compass heading from his antenna.

You don not have some kind of edit channels menu in the setup options
of **your TVs?

As I just said above, "I could remove/add channels only to the list of
channels that were detected during the most recent complete scan."
That's done, of course, via the setup options of my TV.* This limited
channel "editing" capability has been consistent in my experience with
Radio Shack digital to analog TV converter boxes, Toshiba HDTVs, and
Samsung HDTVs.* In all three cases, using the remote control, keying in
a digital channel not on the most recently scanned channel list, the TV
(or adapter) tunes to the channel on the scanned list that's closest in
virtual channel number to the channel I try to receive.* Example: my
most recent scanned list contains 2.1* 7.1* and 9.1 even though I know
that if I realign my antenna, I could receive 4.1 but not 2.1, 7.1. or
9.1.* If I tune to 2.1, it comes in.* If I tune to 7.1 it comes in.
However, if I either key in or use the channel up/down select switch on
the remote to tune to 3.1 or 4.1, 2.1 comes in.* And if I tune to 5.1 or
6.1, 7.1 comes in.* If I realign my antenna to the position that enables
4.1 to be scanned-in, but not 2.1 or 7.1, and don't re-scan, when I try
to key-in 4.1, nothing comes in, because it's not on the most recent
scanned list and neither 2.1 nor 7.1 can be received with the antenna in
the position needed to receive 4.1.* I believe the OP experienced the
same behavior and posted to solicit possible solutions for the problem.

If you've gotten no help from the TV manufacturer, your only solution is
likely the multiple antennas. It worked great for me. You can mount them
all on one antenna mast, one above the other. I did it with 2 additional
antennas with large UHF sections someone was throwing away, and just
removed broken VHF arms that were not needed anymore since most stations
are on UHF. I never need to worry about aiming the antenna for some
different station for a recording.

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/how-to-...le-directions/