Posted to alt.home.repair
Neill Massello Neill Massello is offline

Default USPS shrink wrapping pickup mailboxes

AK wrote:

The USPS has shrinked wrapped a mailbox for outgoing mail

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The USPS refers to these as "collection boxes" and has been removing them from
residential areas for years. Shrink-wrapping is a bit odd. Usually, they are
just detached from their bases and hauled away. The shrink-wrapping was
probably done to prevent people from depositing mail to a box that was
scheduled for removal and was no longer being emptied regularly.

If you go to the USPS web site and search for collection boxes in your area,
you will see that most of them are now outside post office branches or in
high-traffic business areas such as shopping centers, office buildings, and
hospitals. The web site Mailbox Locate also lists the many, many remaining
locations for dropping off outgoing mail.

https://mailboxlocate.com

It has been this way for years. When I saw what a fuss the media was making
about collection boxes, I knew that this was fake news, an old story that had
suddenly been discovered and hyped for political purposes. It has apparently
escaped the attention of many in the press that first-class mail volume has
declined drastically in the Internet era, especially for mail generated by
households rather than businesses. Mail collection boxes are going the way of
the hitching post and the pay phone. Perhaps the next panic will be about the
disappearance of fax machines.

Yes, Trump lies. So do all politicians. And so does the press. It's not just
bias or spin. They flat out lie. That's the world we are living in. Maybe it
wasn't such a good idea to give Bill Clinton a pass on perjury?