Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_36_] Peter[_36_] is offline

Default USPS shrink wrapping pickup mailboxes

On 8/26/2020 3:56 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 8/26/2020 11:52 AM, Ken wrote:
AK wrote:
The USPS has shrinked wrapped a mailbox for outgoing mail next to my
apartments.

Has anyone else seen this?

Now, the closest place to drop off mail is at the post office 5 miles
away.

The guy running the USPS needs to be fired.

Just my opinion.

Andy

I do not know about your situation, but we can have the mailman pick
up mail by simply placing it in the mailbox and raising the flag.

If you don't mind your mail being stolen, that works here to. Some
people down the street have one of the post office installed group
mailboxes. I walk mine there for the locked outgoing box.

Are you saying that in your neighborhood only outgoing mail gets stolen
from street-side boxes? Doesn't sound like very intelligent thievery.
Don't your local thieves want financial, insurance, and utility,
statements with account numbers, greeting cards with checks inside,
social security checks, new/renewed credit/debit cards, etc.? I
recently moved after 30 years living in a house with a street-side box.
Our neighborhood had periodic vandalism involving box bashing and pole
bending, but never stolen mail. If you normally get mail at least
3x/week, no need to put up the red flag to announce to the world that
you've got outgoing mail inside. The post office delivery person will
pick up whatever you put in there that has an address different than
your own when new mail is delivered. If your outgoing mail is very time
sensitive, it probably should be mailed directly into the slot at the
nearest branch post office.