Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default petrol lawnmowers in 2020

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 14:21:50 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Stephen
wrote:

Hello, I have an electric mower but it's not very good: it gets
clogged up with wet grass

Not sure you are advised to mow 'wet grass' with any domestic mower?

and long grass will stall the motor.

Quite?

keep thinking I should treat myself to a petrol one but a honda
is £400 and I think is it worth it for the few weekends it will
get used each year.

Cable electric are probably simpler (maintenance wise) in the long
term over petrol engine models.

Every now and then I look on web sites to see the prices and when
I was looking today, I saw that there are many rechargeable
mowers now.

And have been for a while now. ;-)

Thinking about the recent thread about electric cars,
it seems mowers are heading that way too.

And all sorts of garden / power tools.

It might be my last
chance to buy a petrol one!

;-)

I wonder how long the batteries last before they need replacing

This will depend on all sorts of variables, including how often you
use them, how hard you use them, how you charge them and how you store
them.

and how powerful these battery powered mowers are?

That one is a 'piece of string' question. You can get cheap mowers
that are trying to do too much with low spec motors and batteries up
to 'quality' / branded kit that you have to pay handsomely for.

You might start by considering how long it typically takes you when
the mower isn't struggling then check to see how that compares with
the advertised run time of a battery mower that fits you budget
(allowing some leeway for marketing and battery aging).

Cheers, T i m