Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Auto Program you TV for OTA stations

On 8/26/20 8:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

Oh, I think I see. You were referring to a TV that has a single tuner that
can be used for cable _or_ OTA. I've never seen such a thing, but I assume
they exist.

They existed decades ago when NTSC TVs just had RF input and cable boxes had
RF output. Then you had Mark's scenario, but that's been a very long time
ago, NTSC broadcast ended over a decade ago.

Newer ones are capable of NTSC, ATSC, and QAM. This would be capable of
tuning cable channels if not for encryption (corporate paranoia).

NTSC BROADCAST ended, but NTSC is still usable in local wired systems. I
still use a NTSC modulator to make the cameras at my doors visible on
any TV (as well as some broadcast ATSC). I am considering replacing the
modulator, but ATSC modulators are still expensive.

BTW, NTSC and ATSC tuners still go up to channel 69 (but not 83).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Religion is all bunk." -- Thomas Edison