Posted to alt.home.repair
chris patrick chris patrick is offline

Default Service Entrance Cable -- Repair Insulation?

On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 5:31:23 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2020 15:42:12 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 11:49:52 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I was just skimming through here I know it's pretty old but if somebody reads this. No you can't slide that through the PVC because you can't have an uninsulated grounded conductor in conduit

Cite that violation?

The only place they talk about cables in conduit has to do with
conduit fill.

After doing a little research:

If you bond both ends of the conduit to the GEC then you are OK. (See
250.64(E))

It would be better to use a non-ferrous conduit, but Metallic conduit,
if used, must have the appropriate BONDING devices at both ends to
prevent the possibility of an INDUCTIVE CHOKE being set up, which, as
I understand, could, possibly IMPEDE the flow of FAULT current...the
overload device would take longer to trip. No problem in plastic.

I guess the "belt and suspenders" solution would be insulated GEC in
plastic conduit - - - - --